This year, our second interview is with the Danish representative Soluna Samay. Onikipuan asked, and Soluna answered for you. Here are our questions and her answers. Enjoy!
Please tell in a few words who you are, and where you come from.
– My name is Soluna Samay and I will be representing Denmark at the Eurovision Song Contest in Baku. I was born in Guatemala and have German/Swiss parents. I grew up traveling all over the world, but now live in Copenhagen where I focus on my music full time.
What do you think about Turkey? Are there any Turkish Eurovision songs that you remember?
– Unfortunately I have never been to Turkey, but I look forward to visiting soon! I have friends who live there and it looks beautiful.
Of course I remember Sertab Ereners winner song from 2003. I also like the Turkish Eurovision song from this year!
What do you think about our participant “Can Bonomo”. Have you heard any of his songs?
– Yes, I have heard “Love Me Back”. I like Can Bonomos song because it has some elements of traditional music mixed with a modern sound. Very cool!
How confident are you about your song “Should’ve known better”
– I am confident about “Should’ve Known Better” because I personally really like the song and its message. But in terms of how it will do at the contest I can’t really say, since anything can happen at the unpredictable Eurovision Song Contest… I will just do my very best and hope that Europe will like the song as much as I do!
What are your expectations around Eurovision?
– I expect it to be an unforgettable experience. It will be great fun to meet the other contestants in Baku. And of course the opportunity to perform on such a big stage in front of millions of viewers is amazing!
Are there any songs that you like from Denmark’s Eurovision history?
– The year I moved to Denmark from Guatemala the Olsen Brothers won with the song “Fly on the Wings of Love”. So this song definitely brings me many good memories.
Do you have any plans to promote your song in Europe?
– I have been at the national final in Bulgaria. I would like to visit more countries, but right now I don’t have any actual plans for a promotional tour.
What is the story of being a participant in the Eurovision Song Contest? What convinced you to take part in Eurovision?
– I was contacted by Remee and Chief 1, two well known producers and songwriters in Denmark, who had discovered me on Facebook. They offered me the opportunity to sing their song “Should’ve Known Better” at the danish national final. I loved the song, which is why I decided to go for it.
Have you listened the first songs for this year. If you have, who do you consider as your biggest rival among them?
– I have listened to quite a few songs. I would say judging by peoples’ comments Norway, Turkey and Cyprus are up there.
Did you use to follow Eurovision Song Contest before? Do you have a fovourite song from the history of the contest?
– I couldn’t really follow the Eurovision Song Contest when I lived in Guatemala. But I have seen the show almost every year since around 2000. Even though Abba won long before my time, they are still one of my favorite Eurovision winners.
Are you planning of any kind of show during your performance in the contest? If you are planning, could you tell us a little about it?
– Right now we are coming up with some ideas and planning the show. But we will definitely try to keep it intimate like at our final here in Denmark.
Will there be an other versions of the song? Will there be any remix of it?
– It would be fun to make a remix, but right now we don’t have any plans for making any new versions.
What are your plans after the competition?
– I am currently working on my seconds album, so hopefully I will be going on tour with it later this year!
Thank you very much for this interview. Finally, do you have a message for Turkish Eurovision-lovers?
See you in Baku!
Love, Soluna Samay
Interview by Harun Barlas Gürsoy